Featured image of the organization’s official seal in use between 1980 and 2004 which bore the year « 1926 » as the year of constitution
but has since been repealed and replaced with a new official seal bearing the year « 1906 »
in apparent commemoration of the earlier founding of the first Greek Orthodox congregation « Evangelismos » in Montreal
First incorporated in 1925 as two separate bodies, the Holy Trinity Congregation and Socrates School merged together on March 24, 1926 under the name « HOLY TRINITY GREEK ORTHODOX CONGREGATION OF MONTREAL » and later renamed « HELLENIC-CANADIAN COMMUNITY OF THE ISLAND OF MONTREAL » .
On June 18, 1980, the Quebec National Assembly adopted controversial «Private Bill 231» which changed the name of the HELLENIC-CANADIAN COMMUNITY OF THE ISLAND OF MONTREAL to HELLENIC COMMUNITY OF MONTREAL.
This new constitution was intended by lay leaders at the time to change the Orthodox episcopal polity of the organization to what some would describe as an unorthodox congregationalist or presbyterian polity.
On June 10, 2010, the HELLENIC COMMUNITY OF MONTREAL merged with THE GREEK ORTHODOX COMMUNITY OF LAVAL and the new amalgamated corporation became known as the HELLENIC COMMUNITY OF GREATER MONTREAL.
Private Bill 231 became the source of much conflict, confusion and litigation opposing the lay directors and the religious hierarchs.
Read more about «Private Bill 231» below:
ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ ΚΟΙΝΟΤΗΣ ΜΟΝΤΡΕΑΛ: ΑΣΤΙΚΗ ή ΟΡΘΟΔΟΞΗ; (1)
ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ ΚΟΙΝΟΤΗΣ ΜΟΝΤΡΕΑΛ: ΑΣΤΙΚΗ ή ΟΡΘΟΔΟΞΗ; (2)
ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ ΚΟΙΝΟΤΗΣ ΜΟΝΤΡΕΑΛ: ΑΣΤΙΚΗ ή ΟΡΘΟΔΟΞΗ; (3)
ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ ΚΟΙΝΟΤΗΣ ΜΟΝΤΡΕΑΛ: ΑΣΤΙΚΗ ή ΟΡΘΟΔΟΞΗ; (4)
ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ ΚΟΙΝΟΤΗΣ ΜΟΝΤΡΕΑΛ: ΑΣΤΙΚΗ ή ΟΡΘΟΔΟΞΗ; (5)
No comments yet.